incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:41:05 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 20:21 +0300, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Javier Sola wrote on Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 18:43:17 +0700:
>> > If Apache forced this without discussion it would be a bad start for
>> > the project.
>>
>> You're misportraying the facts; it's a preexisting Apache policy that
>> predates OOo being proposed as a podling.
>>
>> Now, we're generally reasonable people here, and the podling can always
>> request an exception (talk to trademarks@).
>

>>   But, with my Member hat on,
>> this collective "Let's join Apache, but not be called Apache, and not
>> work with existing Apache entities" spirit leaves a rather bad taste.
>
> I'm not saying we the community, should not be called Apache whatever.
> Nobody is down on Apache, but I just don't want to dilute the strong
> brand of the #product#.  OOo has a very strong market share in the
> Office Suite Software Consumer market.
>
> http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html
>
> It is important that we maintain that share and grow it.
> There is a large community:  35,000 individuals subscribed to OOo
> maillists when I last checked, Louis may have more up-to-date numbers
> Around 800 have signed the JCA/SCA
> Scores possibly Hundreds of Millions of Users worldwide and growing
>
> All this under the OpenOffice.org Brand.  There has been a lot of noise

Yes, under the Apache brand.  But also under the Obama presidency and
under the Chinese Year of the  Rabbit.  We don't know what is
coincidence versus a real essential cause and effect relationship.  In
other words, we don't know if we'd have the same number of users, or
even more, with a different name.

These seems like something we could debate endlessly without
resolution.  But I wonder if a more definitive answer might come from
a survey of users and other market participants, looking at branding
perceptions, trying out a few variations on the name, seeing which
ones elicit the most positive responses.  I'd be happy to yield to
facts.