incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 12:43:59 GMT
On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM, David McKay <dmckay@btconnect.com> wrote:

> On 09/07/11 13:24, Peter Junge wrote:
>>
>> On 09.07.2011 20:02, David McKay wrote:
>>>
>>> My preference has nothing to do with blogs, it is purely a naming and
>>> branding issue. Formally, OpenOffice.org was always written as
>>> OpenOffice.org by those who knew, but colloquially/informally it was
>>> always talked about as OpenOffice. I agree we need to maintain ties with
>>> the legacy and history of OpenOffice.org, but the removal of the .org
>>> isn't going to jeopardise that.
>>
>> This was always a trademark issue, just two quick examples:
>> Siemens has a trademarked product called HiPath OpenOffice [1], there's
>> also a IT service provider in the Netherlands who has registered Open Office
>> [2] and AFAIK there are many more to consider in other countries. We had
>> exactly the same discussion a million times, which came always to the
>> conclusion we *must* use OpenOffice.org. Please spare us the one million and
>> first deja vu.
>
> Point taken. But  at the same time, being new here, this is my first, not my
> million and first :)
>>
>> Over the year we got used to it. The community that has landed on Apache's
>> shores is the OpenOffice.org community.
>
> Understood.
>>
>> As to the differentiation of OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice.org, I
>> would propose to use the latter for the project and the community now, but
>> keeping the former for the branding of the product.
>
> I can't help wondering though if HiPath OpenOffice is not a problem for
> Siemens (and presumably other trademark holders)
> why Apache openOffice would be/cause a problem for us.

I think that's exactly the right point.  If adding ".org" to the end
of the name allows us to be clear of the other trademarks, then
wouldn't adding "Apache" to the beginning do the same?

This was not an option that was really open to the community before,
since OpenOffice was not associated with a larger open source
foundation.

-Rob