incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:46:55 GMT
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM, florent andré
<florent.andre-dev@4sengines.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also think that we need codebase in svn soon.

Yes.

> Following your all pretty good comments, import a "perfect" hg history into
> svn seems not to be quite easy... and will require works and effort.
>
> As Michael Stahl says "Hg/git/otherDSCMs and SVN have fundamentally
> different data models for representing branching/merging".
> So hg --> svn is complicated but hg --> git seems to works pretty well.
>
> The main point is to have a way to lurk the history, and to host this
> history into Apache infra in order to be Oracle's server shut down tolerant.
>
> So, what about this proposal ? :
>
> - ask infra to set up a special git ooo-history

I'm assuming that ooo-history would be read-only?

> - import only the main hg branch into svn
> - if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
> ** git checkout theBranch (from ooo-history)
> ** svn create branch from trunk ( Btrunk)
> ** diff Btrunk / theBranch for creating patch
> ** apply patch on Btrunk
> ** commit Btrunk
>
> Sure we will lost a lot of history in svn... but we still have it in git
> ooo-history...
> ... And a new (hi)story begin in Apache svn ! :)
>
> This will require infra to set up a special ooo-history git repos... but if
> we are kind they may accept :).
>
> What do you think ?

I like the "lazy" approach.  Defer the branch conversion work until it
is actually needed.  It puts the human judgement in the loop at the
time when it is needed.  If we believed that 100% (or even 80% or 90%)
of the CWS would be needed immediately for integration into our first
release, then it might make sense to do all that work up front.  But
if we believe that only a few are needed, then it doesn't make sense
to hold up the entire project for this.

One concern would be on the IP perspective.  Before we can have a
release or graduate from Podling, we need to review our source code
and remove all incompatible 3rd party components.  We're also working
to ensure that the Oracle SGA is updated to contain all the files we
need for AOOo.  If we have two repositories, a "clean" one in SVN and
an "unreviewed" version in git that we occasionally dip into for
unintegrated branches, then IP compliance becomes more difficult.
Maybe not impossible, but certainly more complicated.

-Rob