incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:00:08 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I sent an email to support@osuosl.org last night and got a response in 30 minutes.
>>
>> OSUOSL admin says:
>>
>>> Looks like varnish died on the machine and I just kicked it. The site(s)
>>> should be back online now.
>>>
>>> The sites have been in an unstable state for quite a while mostly
>>> because neither we (OSL) nor Sun/Oracle had time to fix the performance
>>> issues both of the sites entails. Couple that with the fact that the
>>> machines they power those sites are very underpower considering the load
>>> they take. It's gotten so bad that we've turned off notifications
>>> because they just go off all the time.
>>>
>>> What really needs to happen is to have the sites completely
>>> re-architected from the ground up with scaling in mind. At least one of
>>> the sites is a stock Drupal 5.0 with a very hacked core. I know some
>>> Sun/Oracle engineers had been working on fixing that into a Drupal 6
>>> module but I'm not sure where that left off.
>>>
>>> Anyways, If you would like some more help with how these sites can be
>>> fixed moving forward, please let me know. But we are strectched thin for
>>> resources.
>>
>> It looks like these two sites are going to need attention whether they are physically
moved or the servers transferred to the ASF.

> Since the extensions site has 3rd party code that is not under Apache
> 2.0 license, we have two options:
>
> 1) The new extensions.openoffice.org site hosts no code or binaries.
> It is simply a directory of 3rd party extensions and links to outside
> sites for the actual files.
>
> 2) Optionally, in conjunction with #1, host the extension source and
> distributions at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ .
>  That is where Apache projects host things like this.

Another option that comes to mind:

3) Have OOo extensions hosted by a 3rd party website and we link to
that site.  It is done that way essentially now with OSL.  But I think
we'll want to be more explicit about such links to 3rd party sites
going forward, stating that this is not Apache code, etc.

Also, if most of the extensions are applicable to LibreOffice and
other derived products, as well as OpenOffice, then this might be an
opportunity for collaboration with The Document Foundation on a common
extension repository.

>> Rob says:
>>
>>> Can we make it a priority to migrate these two site to Apache?  We
>>> need volunteers to do this.  Nothing happens by magic here. We need
>>> volunteers to define the technical requirements and work with Apache
>>> Infrastructure to make this happen.  Hopefully we'd make some platform
>>> and technology choices that would be more stable than the current
>>> site.  I'd recommend moving and then asking Oracle to redirect
>>> requests for those two subdomains to Apache.
>>
>> We did get a zone file yesterday, but it was missing these two domains. I think that
the track is to transfer the domain and zone dns to the ASF first and then we will be able
to do what we want.