incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:28:22 GMT
On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/30/2011 11:37 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On another list, I saw a comment from Roy Fielding that resonated
>> with me.  Others have mentioned it, but not here on ooo-dev.
>>
>> My interpretation is that we could have Apache ooo as the identifier
>> of the core Apache project built on what we factor out of the Oracle
>> grant, leaving OpenOffice.org as a web site and a family of
>> distributions and support for end-user and adopter/integrator
>> activities that reach out beyond the development of a buildable
>> open-source code base.
>
> This seems like a GREAT idea to me assuming it can be "done" vis a vis
> current conditions -- the Apache way, etc. Also see below

That has been the plan since the start.  We eventually have an
openoffice.apache.org web site that has the project-facing website and
services, like source repositories, dev lists, work by translators,
documentation, etc.  This is the web site where those who make OOo
work, the project community.

Then we have http:///www.openoffice.org, which remains the end-user
facing portal, the entry way to downloads, to support, to templates
and extensions, etc.

There are some services that have dual personalities, like bugzilla,
which is used by users as well as those on the project development
side.

This would not be an attempt to create an artificial division between
the project community and the users.  I'm very sensitive to that.  But
in this space, we really need an extremely easy-to-use,  slee, sexy,
consumer-friendly portal for end users. This is the face of the
project to millions of current and potential users.  We should have
hooks to draw them into the project community, for those with further
interest.  But we can't scare them initially with the bare-bones
standard Apache look and feel project site.

>> I think we should consider that attempting to put OpenOffice.org atop
>> all of it is over-constraining and also confusing, even though the
>> result may be unrecognizably different at the end-user level.
>>
>> - Dennis
>>
>> MORE THOUGHTS BELOW THE QUOTATION
>>
>> [Disclaimer.  This inspired my thinking but any misunderstanding of
>> what Roy was thinking is mine and mine alone.]
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Roy T. Fielding
>>> [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 09:51 [
>>> ... quoted by permission ] Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org branding
>>>
>>> [ ... ]
>>>
>>> BTW, my personal preference is to call our product Apache OOo and
>>> leave the OpenOffice.org website as a joint forum and
>>> redistribution site for all variations of the suite, docs,
>>> tutorials, etc.  However, such decisions are typically made by the
>>> people doing the work.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>
> yes... +1
>

>>> ....Roy T. Fielding, Director, The Apache Software Foundation
>>> (fielding@apache.org)<http://www.apache.org/>
>>> (fielding@gbiv.com)<http://roy.gbiv.com/>
>>>

>> MORE THOUGHTS
>>
>> I am not invested in the history or passion around OpenOffice.org as
>> an ongoing development.  My perspective is as someone who works from
>> the open standards and architectural perspective.  So I beg your
>> forbearance if I have been insensitive to the history and the
>> familiarity that there is in how things have been done over the
>> years.  It is not my intention to offend but to see what we can see
>> by thinking outside of the box.
>>
>> I trust it is clear to all of us that it will be unlikely that we can
>> somehow revive OpenOffice.org to a place where it is a
>> business-as-usual continuation of the now-stalled effort.

Not business as usual.  Business better than usual.  But this is not
something for arguing.  It is for doing.

>> Furthermore, my attention is on the suitability of Apache ooo as a
>> reference implementation with respect to ODF, with less emphasis on
>> what it takes to continue OpenOffice.org a desirable and thriving
>> software distribution.  I'm in favor of that.  It is not what my
>> attention is on.  So this is not a balanced perspective.

And why can't we do both?  Is there some reason why an application
cannot both be a good implementation of ODF and also be a thriving
product?  There are not mutually exclusive outcomes.

>> Here are some loosely-conceived thoughts.  I don't have a clear or
>> specific picture.  But I think the conceptual separation of ooo and
>> OpenOffice.org is an opportunity that might unfreeze us from trying
>> to move ahead under one giant lump.
>
> I agree...but...
>

>> I favor the idea of separating the "pure Apache-way" project effort
>> and from the OpenOffice.org identity and "brand" as a broader
>> umbrella for all of the variations that go into making end-user
>> distributions, providing documentation materials, end-user support,
>> and especially the various native-language efforts that are part of
>> the OpenOffice.org ecosystem.

I've heard this idea put forward by LibreOffice supports as well.  The
brand name of OpenOffice.org is very strong.  The web site gets a lot
of traffic.  Far more than libreoffice.org.  Far more than
symphony.lotus.com.  I think we'd all love a link from that website.
Who wouldn't? If you look at other Apache projects you see that they
are quite liberal about providing links to distributions of downstream
consumers, including other ports, distros and derived applications.
This comes with a disclaimed that these are not official Apache
releases, but it does help give these other projects some greater
visibility and "link love".  See, for example, this Subversion page:

http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

As you can see, there is also some degree of co-branding.  So there is
TortoiseSVN, uberSVN, visualSVN, etc

I've always assumed we'd do something similar for Apache OpenOffice,
provide links to other releases.  And if someone wants to call their
release "SuperDuper OpenOffice" or whatever, then we'd handle that
request via the normal process for Apache branding discussions.

> HOW to do this? I mean from a practical, pragmatic perspective. How will
> continued existence of what we might see as the "end user" OpenOffice.org
> architecture (servers, administration architecture) be carried out? What
> will we use, where will it be housed, how will it be administered it and who
> will finance it? I am QUITE concerned about the existence of the current
> site (on kenai). Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a "drop dead" for
> removal of OpenOffice.org from this platform.

We've had discussions on the list on migration, some details here
(look at the website transfer row of the table):

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning