incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:53:30 GMT
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/30/2011 03:28 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> This seems like a GREAT idea to me assuming it can be "done" vis a vis
>>> current conditions -- the Apache way, etc. Also see below
>>>

>> That has been the plan since the start.  We eventually have an
>> openoffice.apache.org web site that has the project-facing website and
>> services, like source repositories, dev lists, work by translators,
>> documentation, etc.  This is the web site where those who make OOo
>> work, the project community.
>
> Well OK, at some point I got very confused by what this meant I guess.
> Should I take this remark openoffice.apache.org will be primarily the stop
> off for what I'll call "code developers"?

Project contributors.  So not just coders, but also QA, translation,
doc, marketing, all people that are directly involved in making the
product and making the project run.

Think of a cruise ship.  There are all the public spaces, the dining
rooms, the pool area, the disco, etc.  And then there are the service
hallways, the kitchens, the deck and the crew quarters.

openoffice.apache.org is the crew areas.  www.openoffice.org is the
public area.  Of course, there would be nothing that prevents users
from coming into the crew quarters.  We'd even hope some will join the
crew.

The goal would be to have then continue at www.openoffice.org.

> [...]
>> which is used by users as well as those on the project development
>> side.
>
> -- more below....
>

>> This would not be an attempt to create an artificial division between
>> the project community and the users.  I'm very sensitive to that.  But
>> in this space, we really need an extremely easy-to-use,  slee, sexy,
>> consumer-friendly portal for end users. This is the face of the
>> project to millions of current and potential users.  We should have
>> hooks to draw them into the project community, for those with further
>> interest.  But we can't scare them initially with the bare-bones
>> standard Apache look and feel project site.

>>> yes... +1

>> Not business as usual.  Business better than usual.  But this is not
>> something for arguing.  It is for doing.

>> And why can't we do both?  Is there some reason why an application
>> cannot both be a good implementation of ODF and also be a thriving
>> product?  There are not mutually exclusive outcomes.

>>> I agree...but...

>> I've heard this idea put forward by LibreOffice supports as well.  The
>> brand name of OpenOffice.org is very strong.  The web site gets a lot
>> of traffic.  Far more than libreoffice.org.  Far more than
>> symphony.lotus.com.  I think we'd all love a link from that website.
>> Who wouldn't? If you look at other Apache projects you see that they
>> are quite liberal about providing links to distributions of downstream
>> consumers, including other ports, distros and derived applications.
>> This comes with a disclaimed that these are not official Apache
>> releases, but it does help give these other projects some greater
>> visibility and "link love".  See, for example, this Subversion page:
>>
>> http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html
>>
>> As you can see, there is also some degree of co-branding.  So there is
>> TortoiseSVN, uberSVN, visualSVN, etc
>>
>> I've always assumed we'd do something similar for Apache OpenOffice,
>> provide links to other releases.  And if someone wants to call their
>> release "SuperDuper OpenOffice" or whatever, then we'd handle that
>> request via the normal process for Apache branding discussions.
>>

>>> HOW to do this? I mean from a practical, pragmatic perspective. How will
>>> continued existence of what we might see as the "end user" OpenOffice.org
>>> architecture (servers, administration architecture) be carried out? What
>>> will we use, where will it be housed, how will it be administered it and
>>> who
>>> will finance it? I am QUITE concerned about the existence of the current
>>> site (on kenai). Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a "drop dead" for
>>> removal of OpenOffice.org from this platform.
>>>

>> We've had discussions on the list on migration, some details here
>> (look at the website transfer row of the table):
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning
>
> Yes, I know about this and have contributed to this but it doesn't really

If my answer still doesn't make sense, maybe you can try restating
your question.  I might be answering a different question than you are
asking.

> The "user facing" sites are itemized in
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-Sitemap
>
> assuming you exclude development, distribution, and api (maybe others
> related to direct development).

And marketing.

> What is the suggestion to place this architecture elsewhere?

Probably should prioritize.  Realistically we're not going to migrate
over 146 Kenai projects.  Think of it like moving to a new house.  It
is a good opportunity to throw out stuff that isn't really used or
needed.   A good sign that something is really needed is that someone
steps up to help migrate a service.