incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Symphony contribution
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:54:19 GMT
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Malte Timmermann
<malte_timmermann@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> thanks for clarifications :)
>
> Some questions below...
>
> On 14.07.2011 05:09, Yong Lin Ma wrote:

>> We are willing to contribute the whole Symphony to community. The code
>> would be available to the community. (The C++ part of Symphony, also
>> the counterpart of OO.o in Symphony).
>
> Maybe I misinterpret "The C++ part", but does it mean you will contribute
> the changes that Symphony needs in the OOo code base, but not the Symphony
> "Application" itself?
>
> From what I know, the Application and all UI (the "chrome") is written in
> Java, and just embeds the OOo applications. So not contributing the Java
> part would mean that the "praised UI" that Rob mentioned wouldn't be part of
> the contribution...

Hi Malte,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I've been traveling to and from
Berlin for the recent ODF Plugfest.  I am just starting to catch up
with my email.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the Symphony UI that shows what parts
we're contributing.  As you can see, the Symphony UI has four areas of
interest:

1) The outermost part, with the tabbed interface, is our customization
of Eclipse, which we call "Expeditor"

2) Embedded in that we have a document editor window, which is our
customized OOo

3) To the right of that is the properties panel.  This is C++ code.

4) And to the right of that is the widget Panel, which is based on Eclipse.

A red rectangle is drawn around the part that we can contribute, in
C++ and without dragging along Eclipse as a dependency.  I think this
is the key UI improvement.  It is especially good on wide screen
monitors, since it makes good use of the available horizontal space.