incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:17:58 GMT
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Oh right, I said to myself knowingly, especially since any release under the old infrastructure
is essentially an LGPL release.  And it would be an opportunity for cooperation.

> Uh, wait, I then said to myself, how do we get that back under Apache OpenOffice.org
unless we manage to have it covered under the Oracle grant. Hmm.

> And what do we do about the work that Armand Le Grand has been busily continuing in the
old infrastructure.  He can recontribute that, of course, but, uh ...

> Um, say again, this might work out how?

I don't see it.  What are the hallmarks of an Apache release?

1) Apache 2.0 license

2) IP check list

3) Provenance assured by allowing repository access only to Committers
who have signed the ICLA

4) Work done transparently on the Apache lists.

In fact, if you follow the general.incubator.a.o list you'll see the
Incubation PMC close to shutting down another Podling because they are
not doing their work at Apache, but are doing it elsewhere.

Yes, getting to a first Apache release will require work.  But we only
get there by doing the work.  I don't see how releasing something
outside of Apache gets us any closer to an Apache release.

-Rob

>  - Dennis
>
> PS: LibreOffice is currently at releases 3.3.3 (presumed stable) and 3.4.0 (early adopter)
with a 3.4.1 release candidate or two currently under test. I think there are 3.5 and 4.0
mumbles too, but my eyes have glazed over and I've given up tracking the pace of builds there.