incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Regarding the PPMC's Private List
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:44:33 GMT
We've received some criticism from our Mentors for using the private
list too eagerly.  I'm certainly guilty in that.  I think the key
thing is that the private list is for discussing matters that require
privacy, but that this does not include discussing procedures around
privacy and confidentiality in general.  This this message is, and
should be, on the public list.

I'd like to make two proposals:

1) I'm going to add an FAQ item on the PPMC FAQ's section of the
website, on the proper use of the ooo-private list.  I'll invite you
all to review and improve it.

2) I wonder whether it would be a good idea, at least while the PPMC
is still growing and we're getting up to speed, for all notes to the
ooo-private list to be prefaced by a sentence explaining why the
private list is needed for that message.  For example, "I am using the
private list because this is account request email contains a members
personal email address".  Thinking out loud like this could help
reinforce the proper use of that list, and would also make the reasons
of any mistaken uses more obvious and correctable.
-Rob