incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OOo Trademark
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:23:14 GMT
OK.  So let's outline a trademark policy.  As a strawman I'd propose:

We add a webpage called "Trademark policy" that states states that
Apache owns the trademarked name and logo, that there are certain uses
of these trademarks that that require no permission from us, but that
we require permission for any uses beyond this.

The webpage would describes the pre-allowed uses, including at least
the "nominative fair use" and other exceptions listed in the Apache
Trademark Policy.  The list of pre-approved uses might be extended for
this project, by mutual agreement of the PPMC and Apache Branding.

Permission would be granted for specific, documented uses.  The
trademark page would have a form for the requester to fill out,
describing the intended trademark use. The form would also list our
conditions on trademark use, likely including that usage shall not
express endorsement by Apache, etc.  The form would also state that
the permission will be revoked if the terms are violated.  The form
template itself should be reviewed by Apache Branding as well as
Apache Legal Affairs.  Perhaps there is a template we can borrow?

A completed & signed form would then be considered by the PPMC.
Optional [DISCUSSION] thread, followed by at least 72-hour [VOTE].  A
record of all granted and rejected permissions would be tracked by the
PPMC.   Decisions would be public.  But we would need a policy on
whether the request forms that are submitted are public or whether
they are stored in the PPMC's private area.

Is that generally the idea?   I'd like to avoid having a process that
is unnecessarily heavyweight.  But if we have historically seen abuse
of the trademark and anticipate seeing more, then we will need to take
this process seriously.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/