incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: DITA for Doc?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 22:55:42 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Jul 6, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>>  we've already done the work
>> of converting much of the OOo help to DITA.
>
> Is there a software grant coming?

It is worth considering.  But I'm not going to face that corporate red
tape merely on speculation that this might be useful.  Let's first
discuss whether the DITA approach seems reasonable.  I think it is
important for content authors to be aware that this would be writing
documentation with tags, similar to HTML.  Good HTML.  But this
structure would give us loads of flexibility for how we structure the
content, combine it is different ways, and publish it.

You can get a flavor of DITA here:

http://www.xmlmind.com/tutorials/DITA/index.html

Tags are off-putting to some people who just want to work in a WYSIWYG
fashion, so I wanted to check.  One possible way of working is to
accept raw content in any reasonable format, ODF, DOC, HTML, yellow
crayon on a napkin, etc., and then have a manual cut & paste process
to get that into DITA initially, and then maintain it that way going
forward.