incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for OOo branding...
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:32:50 GMT
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> What ODF Oligarchy?
>
> OASIS certainly had nothing to do with branding of OpenOffice.org and its choice of icons.
 The ODF TC has never been consulted on such matters.

The OASIS ODF Adoption TC did promote an ODF logo, but I don't think
they did anything with application icons.

In any case, I think there is some benefit to stepping back and asking
the basic question: how do we decide such questions about the user
interface?

A) Do we simply weight in with our personal opinions, saying "I like
X",  "I don't like Y", "I like blue" or "I think X is pretty"?

or

B) Do we have a way of raising the discussion about mere opinion and
bring data to bear on the question?

Certainly if we were discussing a performance improvement, a proponent
of a significant change would be called on to show the numbers, to
justify the change with hard data.  We would not necessarily make wise
decision relying on opinion, absent data.

Consensus is great, but informed consensus is golden.

Is there some way we can bring some structure to user interface
decisions via usability testing?

>  - Dennis

Varese