incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:37:53 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/11 Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com>:
>> 2011/7/11 André Schnabel <andre.schnabel@gmx.net>:
>>> Hi,

>>> It did not matter that we had the opportunity to start fresh - what really
>>> did matter was that we *had to* start fresh.
>>>

>> Regardless of the circumstances of your starting fresh, you opted for
>> "LibreOffice" rather than "LibreOffice.org".  I was just wondering
>> whether that was discussed at all.  And if so, why you decided not to
>> go with a ".org" branding?
>>

> Sorry, i´m not able to follow such an line of argumentation. [1]
> or do we start from scratch like LibreOffice?

Let me break it down:

1) I'm hearing that the ".org" was critical to the OOo community,
because it signified that this was a community not a ".com" commercial
venture.  The ".org" was critical to that aspect of the branding and
the entire community supported that.

2) But then when a sizeable portion of that community split off and
formed LibreOffice, in part to have it be even more community-led,
they didn't adopt that part of the branding.

So these two facts appear to be in conflict. I was trying to ascertain
whether the TDF/LO guys concerned LibreOffice.org and rejected it for
some reason, or whether it was never seriously concerned.  Remember,
the LO guys are not all that different than the Apache OpenOffice
guys.  They lived through the same history and saw the same marketing
campaigns, etc., wrt OpenOffice.org.  But when they moved to a new
location, they did not adopt a  ".org" name.

I understand perfectly the historical reasons why the name
OpenOffice.org was chosen.  And I can understand the reasons why we
don't want to changing branding frequently and with no good reason.

Regards,

-Rob