incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:41:58 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2011, at 13:32, Kai Ahrens wrote:
>>
>> Of course it makes a difference to ask our users instead of asking some
>> deeply involved people on this list, having very subjective interests in
>> one or the other direction.
>>
>> And in the end, the user rules, not any marketing speech.
>
> While that sounds good, I'm not sure it's the Apache way and I'd welcome a comment from
one of the mentors.

I'm taking Kai's statement as stating the obvious: that a branding
decision is best informed by data on what the target market thinks,
not what the marketeers think.  The interpretation of the evidence and
execution of a branding strategy, would be up to the PPMC, in
conjunction with Apache Branding.

-Rob