incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Questions: LAMP and PHPBB for OpenOffice.org
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:23:09 GMT
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

(Taking Infrastructure off the cc.  We should go to them when we have
something a bit more concrete.  Also, remember that we have mentors
from Apache Infrastructure on this list.)

> On ooo-dev, we continue to ponder how we can support the existing OpenOffice.org web
site and the subdomains thereof with minimal friction and maximum preservation of the accumulated
material.  Here is a thumbnail of what the objectives are:
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning> (with
the understanding that development-focused aspects would move, at least in part, to Apache
locations from the OpenOffice.org location).

> Assuming
>
>  1. That the OpenOffice.org domain lease is transferred to the Apache Software Foundation
>  2. That sufficient volunteers come forward to support whatever the infrastructure support
requirements are, and
>  3. There are no legal@ objections,
>
> Question
>
>  4. Is it technically feasible and acceptable to have, operating on Apache infrastructure,
the OpenOffice.org web site and subdomains as open public sites operating with software that
would otherwise not be very tasty on Apache (PHPBB which is GPLd and may have some customizations,
for example)?

So you're asking a 1-sentence technical feasibility question for an
extremely complex topic with no supporting proposal, plan or other
supporting details?  What kind of answer would you expect to this?
What answer would you give if someone asked you this question?  Would
you expect anything but "well, it depends"?

> I know that is very hypothetical in this form, but it is not worth navigating (1-3) unless
4 would work at the end of the day.

Doing 1-2 is what makes 4 possible to discuss.  And we should focus on
2.  If volunteers do it, then it is technically feasible.