incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: IDL Generation and MediaWiki [Was Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements]
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:11:43 GMT
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Clayton,
>
> I am separating into two sub-topics:
>
> (1) IDL Generation.
>
> Thanks for the link to what the Wiki uses to create a short hand for various IDL links.
This points out a very important topic that needs to be co-ordinated. How do those the IDL
Pages get generated. This needs to be co-ordinated with the build.

> Who knows about the "UNOIDL - that is, the Unified Network Object Interface Description
Language compiler, which produces the content of api.oo.o, and the input files."?

> (2) MediaWiki vs. Confluence vs. MoinMoin vs. Apache CMS
>
> There are several issues.
>
> (a) A MediaWiki at AOOo is the easiest solution for the project - short-term - most of
the work is export/import.

> (b) A MediaWiki is not currently supported by Apache Infrastructure. MediaWiki Infra
would need to be built.

> (c) There are a number of special extensions being used in MediaWIki with developers
here who can support it.

> (d) For Confluence extensions / emulating the extensions that MW uses will be a learning
curve.

> (e) Export requires co-operation with current OOo wiki admins. Confluence may require
more.

Another factor is the preservation of external links, including deep
links into the OOo website.  With MediaWiki we should be able to
preserve the URL's or at least allow a trivial rewrite rule for
redirections.  With Confluence I think we would have a harder time.

> If a MediaWiki is what people want then we'll need to have several people who will be
dedicated to helping Infrastructure support it. Please join the infrastructure-dev list and
ask. Please share your contacts with the MediaWiki admins here so that others who may want
to explore the convertor can make progress. If we have enough volunteers we can start on both
and abandon one if one becomes clearly better.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:13 AM, C wrote:

>>> I understand the need for ODT export. Tell us about the MediaWiki extension that
is being used, is it part of OOo or is it a third party extension?