incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Regarding the PPMC's Private List
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:01:42 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> -1 on that part.  Please God, treat us like adults here.

The analogy I had in mind was to official government committees and
boards in my state, where they are required to conduct their business
in public.  But they have the ability to enter a private "executive
session". But before they may do so they must first state the reason
why they are doing so, and that reason must be taken from a list of
pre-defined statutory exceptions, for example, when dealing with
personnel matters.  This helps prevent misuse of executive session.

Although there are exceptions, most elected officials in Massachusetts
behave like adults, even when they need to declare why they are
conducting business in private.