incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:26:50 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47@oryx.cc> wrote:
> One of the reasons I have stuck with OO and have not looked further into
> LO was the fact that binaries were not provided for my preferred
> desktop, Solaris.  Specifically, I primarily use either OpenSolaris
> Nevada or OpenIndiana.
>
> A (more than high level but not completely extensive)  search of the LO
> web site and email archives did not yield very much regarding *Solaris
> support.
>
> My yahoo-fu turned up this, at least acknowledging its existence.
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>
> However, this post paints a somewhat darker picture.
>
> http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07091.html

> Will we/Apache OO ultimately provide *Solaris binaries for download?

There are two questions embedded in this:

1) Will AOOo maintain the Solaris port?

2) Will AOOo release Solaris binaries?

I'd certainly encourage us to do #1, provided that we have volunteers
with Solaris expertise on the project to test, fix errors, etc.,
related to that port.  Are you able to help with this? Or can you help
by introducing some possible volunteers to this list?

For #2, this is something we'll need to look at when we get closer to
a release.  I suspect that we'll do a mix of the following:

1) For some platforms we'll release binaries

2) For some other platforms we'll link to binaries built and hosted by
other companies, organizations and projects

3) And we'll release a source tarball that anyone can download

Take a look at Apache Subversion for example:

http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

Many binary ports are available, but none of them are officially from Apache,

As a project, we need to decide what we do for OpenOffice.  We could
release binaries for no platforms, all platforms, or for only some
platforms.  But we don't need to decide this quite yet.