incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Population of ooo-security
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 02:08:58 GMT
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Now that we've confirmed that the ooo-security list exists and the three moderators appear
to be subscribers, I believe the next action is to subscribe the existing OO.o/LibreOffice
security folk, per

> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201107.mbox/%3c4E1AF3D6.8030709@oracle.com%3e>

-1.  This is the project's private security list, with only a subset
of the PPMC on it.  We should not have 3rd parties signed up on it.

Observe the process here:

http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html

"Information may be shared with domain experts (eg colleagues at your
employer) at the discretion of the project's security team providing
that it is made clear that the information is not for public
disclosure and that security@apache.org or the project's security
mailing list must be copied on any communication regarding the
vulnerability."

So there is a distinction here between the "project's security team"
and "domain experts".  I'd like to see the ooo-security list be the
former, and have us bring in the later when necessary for a particular
issue.

I think it would be a great idea to track, in a text file in the
PPMC's private directory, a list of 3rd party experts who could be
consulted for particular kinds of issues.   But if and when to bring
in those 3rd parties should be decided on a case by case basis.

> There was also a notion of cross-subscribing some lists, but that would probably be after
that.

We could put those addresses into the private text file as well, but
I'd rather trust an person's email address than to trust an opaque
list.

-Rob