incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:12:36 GMT
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM, florent andré
<florent.andre-dev@4sengines.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> The main point is to have a way to lurk the history, and to host this
>>> history into Apache infra in order to be Oracle's server shut down
>>> tolerant.
>>>
>>> So, what about this proposal ? :
>>>
>>> - ask infra to set up a special git ooo-history
>>> - import only the main hg branch into svn
>>> - if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
>>> ** git checkout theBranch (from ooo-history)
>>> ** svn create branch from trunk ( Btrunk)
>>> ** diff Btrunk / theBranch for creating patch
>>> ** apply patch on Btrunk
>>> ** commit Btrunk
>>>
>>> Sure we will lost a lot of history in svn... but we still have it in git
>>> ooo-history...
>>

>> In the above approach we would still have the history of the trunk in
>> SVN, right? Or would we need to go to git in order to get that history
>> as well?
>
> I'm not an hg to svn expert so I don't really now... seems yes but have to
> be confirm.
>

>> Would this work as as a general approach:
>>
>> 1) Move forward with the trunk migration into SVN now.  This allows
>> work on the trunk to go forward.  We have people waiting to start on
>> this work.
>
> +1 even if we can't restore all history (because we can have workarounds
> with git and hg).
>

>> 2) The CWS migration planning and experimentation can continue.  If
>> someone is able to create tooling to make this possible, or finds
>> another elegant solution, then we can migrate the CWS's over at a
>> later point.
>
> +1
>

>> 3) In the mean time, if anyone needs to do work on a CWS, they can
>> extract from Hg and work on it that way.   But if they want to merge
>> it into SVN, then they will have to do some careful and manual work.
>> This may be painful for some large CWS's, like the one Armin has.
>
> Sure it will need manual work... but with the procedure I propose I think
> that it's lower the bar :
>>> - if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
>>> ** git/hg checkout gitBranch (from ooo-history/needed cws)
>>> ** svn create branch from apache svn trunk ( svnBranch)
>>> ** diff svnBranch / gitBranch for creating patch
>>> ** apply patch on svnBranch
>>> ** commit svnBranch
>
> And some work will still be needed for merging just created svnBranch with
> trunk
>

>> 4) If, in 6 months from now, or whenever Oracle wants to turn off
>> their OpenOffice.org servers, then we need to have a solution for the
>> CWS.  But we can wait until closer to that date.  Maybe by then Apache
>> will support git, in which case the problem has solved itself.
>
> I'm personally not really fan of the "wait and see" procedure... because may
> Oracle will not ping us when press the "stop button".
>
> Furthermore have a git (read only) ooo-history will make all already git
> users happy.
>
> There is someone from the infra here that can say if an ooo-history git repo

They currently support a read-only git mirror of a project's SVN repository

http://git.apache.org/

So what we are asking for is slightly different.  It is read-only.
But it is not a live mirror of the SVN repository.  It is an archived
mirror of Sun/Oracle's Hg repository.  So from the Infrastructure
perspective, once the migration of Hg to git is done (and that should
be easy) hosting it read-only is nothing new.  If there are any
objections, it would be from the IP perspective.  This is more than
getting an updated SGA from Oracle. It is also about incompatible
licensed code.  We can only carry that in our SVN repository
temporarily, until we graduate.  So having it exist long-term in a
read-only git archive is something we'd want to understand better.