incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From C <smau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 05:43:28 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 06:29, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 12:57 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:
>>
>> wave@minotaur:~/ooo-test$ ls -1
>> development
>> documentation
>> download
>> projects
>> www
>>
>> The size is 2.7GB.
>>
>> It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing webcontent to
either mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript and css. It is likely we can adapt
the content and use the Apache CMS to wrap a standard skeleton.

>> Regards, Dave
>>

> Much of what is on there is legacy material that could be seriously
> pruned.  For instance all the old Marketing material that is V2.0 and
> earlier could be deleted.
>
> Argument could be made for the marketing material to start from scratch.
> Personally I'd like to see a whole new branding and get shot of the old
> stuff, make the first Apache release: V4.0 (Historically, significant
> global change has meant a whole number change in the version: V2 new
> codebase, V3 Apple compatibility. I think this is significant enough:
> pre V4 = LGPL license, V4 and later = ALV2)  From a marketing POV it
> gives us a handle to hang a campaign on.

The majority of the documentation project content is not really stored
in the stuff that was downloaded in this test.  What you find in the
web-content side is pretty much just pointers to the Wiki plus a few
files here and there that are not in the Wiki.

I would much more prefer that when the time comes to migrate content
of the documentation directory, that I simply tag which files are to
be transferred and the rest are pruned.  I have spent time cleaning up
what's there, but there are still 10 years of legacy things still
laying about, not used anymore.... stuff that should not be copied
over.

Then there's the MediaWiki documentation content...

C.