incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From C <smau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:13:22 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 21:16, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2011, at 11:16 AM, C wrote:
>> - PDF and ODT export.  Confluence can do PDF, but cannot do ODT..
>> only MS Word DOC format (a significant issue in my view for an OOo
>> Wiki... a bit sad and embarassing that we'd only be able to export a
>> proprietary document format, and not the primary doc format that OOo
>> is known for).  Export to PDF and ODT is something a lot of people use
>> for the OOo Docs - especially the Basic and Developer's Guides.
>
> I understand the need for ODT export. Tell us about the MediaWiki extension that is being
used, is it part of OOo or is it a third party extension?

It's a MediaWiki extension, created by PediaPress -
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

>> - IDL Tags - custom (but simple) MW extension that creates links to
>> the IDL library
>
> Do you mean these links:
>
> http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/awt/XTopWindowListener.html
>
> We will need to rewrite these anyway. Tell me how these are marked up in MediaWiki.
>
> Is the IDL reference generated from the source code? We'll need to get into that workflow
too.

The IDL Extension is all documented here - including the full source
of the extension itself, and how it's implemented/used within the Wiki
text: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Wiki_maintenance/IDLTagExtension

> No doubt this is a challenge in Confluence - it likes a flat hierarchy.
>
> If a MoinMoin Wiki is a better fit for conversion from MediaWiki we can certainly try
it.

I've never done a lot with MoinMoin, so can't really comment on that
one.  The book-like hierarchy in the existing MediaWiki is created by
a combination of sub-pages and the TOC navigation.  It is not really
the perfect implementation, but it works and keeps things at least
somewhat "book-like".... makes it possible to generate PDF books, and
provides a book-like navigation or flow through a topic.  The other
choice, and something I experimented with, is huge monster long pages
with entire chapters in a single Wiki page.  This is a nightmare to
try and edit and maintain.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccornell@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead