incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From C <smau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:16:07 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 18:53, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> The short of it is.. I'll help move the MediaWiki to a new server on
>> the Apache side (if the decision is made to do this), but I'm not
>> interested in moving the content to Confluence (if this is the final
>> decision).
>
> Please provide a few concrete examples of the thousands of pages that will need to be
reworked. What features of MediaWiki are required and what is the purpose. Give me some of
the gory details.

> The bar is much higher to add to Apache Infrastructure. It must be proven to Infrastructure
that we have enough volunteers that can administer the service. Confluence is already present,
as is the Apache CMS.

> We have individuals with scripting abilities. If the wiki re-work is mechanical then
we can script it.

> Regards,
> Dave

A few example items... the existing/legacy MediaWiki instance is using
several creative tweaks such as (not an exhaustive list.. just a few):

 - PDF and ODT export.  Confluence can do PDF, but cannot do ODT..
only MS Word DOC format (a significant issue in my view for an OOo
Wiki... a bit sad and embarassing that we'd only be able to export a
proprietary document format, and not the primary doc format that OOo
is known for).  Export to PDF and ODT is something a lot of people use
for the OOo Docs - especially the Basic and Developer's Guides.

 - Dynamic page lists - creates dynamic page set views of doc content.
 This is used for dynamically  indexing the FAQs for example.

 - IDL Tags - custom (but simple) MW extension that creates links to
the IDL library

As for the number of pages... start with the big one.. the Developer's
Guide.  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/Developer%27s_Guide
This doc alone is approximately 1000 Wiki pages (something close to
that... I don't know the exact number off the top of my head... it's
around 2000 A4 pages when printed out or converted to PDF/ODT).  Like
the other manuals in the existing/legacy OOo Wiki, it uses a
combination of nested templates and various extensions to manage the
subpages as a book.  It has a detailed TOC and navigation tree, IDL
linking, etc.  This would all need to be stripped and adapted to
convert to Confluence.  Each page would need to land in the right
place in the document hierarchy.  Someone would need to write a
Confluence macro or extension to handle the IDL tagging.  All the
MediaWiki tagging would need to be converted.... and then someone
would need to wade through the document and double check that it's
still in a logical correct order, and tidy up the little oopses.

Add to the list, the Basic Guide, the Reference Lists, and the
FAQs/HowTos, plus whatever Doc pages have been translated into
Russian, French, Spanish, German etc etc, and you've got a whole lot
of pages that need to be migrated, managed, validated, etc.

I'm not saying it cannot be done... I am familiar with Confluence
Wikis... I have a fair idea what you can do in them.  I also have a
rough idea just how much work will need to be done to get the Wiki
docs migrated to Confluence.

Frank Peters also raised this point a couple of weeks ago... so I'm
not the only one raising a little white flag and saying this part of
the website migration is not going to be as easy as migrating basic MW
content. :-)

One other minor point... licensing shouldn't be a barrier for these
Doc Wiki pages regardless of what is done with them... all of the
Documentation subpages are either CC-By or PDL (or both). If a Doc
Wiki page isn't clearly licensed, then it doesn't belong, or needs to
be corrected.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccornell@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead