incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:18:03 GMT
Don't forget the child prodigies that have been working on it since they were 5.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM, theUser BL <theuserbl@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>> What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
>>
>> Currently there are two point of views what a OOo fork is and what not.
>>
>> If you look at the trademark and logo, then LibreOffice is the fork.
>>
>> But if you look at all other things, like where all the old OOo developer are working
and so on, then LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice.org and the Apache OpenOffice.org is the
fork.

> How do you define old?  I see a lot of experienced OOo developers
> working at Apache, some with 10 or even 15 years experience.  But I
> don't think I'd call them "old".  Maybe "middle aged"?
>
>> For me (and not only for me) developer are much more important then project logos
and names. And so for me (and not only for me) Apache OpenOffice.org with its new developers
is the fork.

>> I have seen, how OpenOffice.org changed after the core team changed to LibreOffice.
>> Ok, at this point I want to mention icons. Have a look at this screenshot of OOo
from the old team:
>> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/openoffice11.png
>> and then have a look at the icons of the OOo after the core team have left:
>> http://t3n.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/OpenOffice_org_33.jpg
>> All icons looking at the first view identical. Same colors, similar look.
>>
>> OpenOffice.org have had a philosophy behind a lot of things. Here the coloring spcs
of the old OOo:
>> http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_mimetype.html
>> As there stand "The language of colors are one of the most important
>>            identifier to differ between all of OpenOffice.org applications.".
>> But the Apache OpenOffice.org fork have forgotten it.
>>
>> But the team, who have written the spec, have at LibreOffice created new icons with
the same philosophy:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons
>>
>> Thats for example.
>>
>> And no one other, then the people at LibreOffice understanding the code base of the
Office Suite better.