incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of OOo
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:56:12 GMT
Hi Ross,

Let's ensure an emphasis on this statement from the Rationale:

 "ASF would enable corporate, non-profit, and volunteer
stakeholders to contribute
code in a collaborative fashion."

The ASF's inclusive approach combined with the the recognition of
LibreOffice community as an important and valued partner...
*
*

"The Apache OpenOffice project will seek to build a constructive
working and technical relationship so that the source code
developed at Apache can be readily used downstream
 by LibreOffice, as well as exploring ways for their upstream
 contributions to be integrated.."

...will help the audience to better understand why Apache has such a broad
and diverse range
of projects, with its decade+ record of success.

The end of a corporate controlled project, and the beginning of two new open
source projects with
essentially one community committed to improving the best, free and open
source
alternative(s) to the dominant proprietary offering....is an historically
significant event in the
software industry.

Therefore, a call-to-action, needs to focus on identifying all the areas of
collaboration
available within community of shared interests as suggested...

"There will be other ways we will be able to collaborate, including jointly
sponsored events,
interoperability 'plugfests', standards development, shared build management
infrastructure,
shared release mirrors, coordination of build schedules and version numbers,
defect lists, and
other downstream requirements. We will make this relationship a priority
early in the life of the
podlet."

/don