incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions: LAMP and PHPBB for OpenOffice.org
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:15:51 GMT
Hi Terry,
Welcome to the party!
I have heard that database software runs less well on VMs and I am working
on developing a project using postgresql at work to test that.

-Wolf

On Jul 31, 2011 6:07 PM, "Terry Ellison" <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> On 31/07/11 22:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> (Taking Infrastructure off the cc. We should go to them when we have
>> something a bit more concrete. Also, remember that we have mentors
>> from Apache Infrastructure on this list.)
>>
>>> On ooo-dev, we continue to ponder how we can support the existing
OpenOffice.org web site and the subdomains thereof with minimal friction and
maximum preservation of the accumulated material. Here is a thumbnail of
what the objectives are:
>>> <
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning>
(with the understanding that development-focused aspects would move, at
least in part, to Apache locations from the OpenOffice.org location).

>>> Assuming
>>>
>>> 1. That the OpenOffice.org domain lease is transferred to the Apache
Software Foundation
>>> 2. That sufficient volunteers come forward to support whatever the
infrastructure support requirements are, and
>>> 3. There are no legal@ objections,
>>>
>>> Question
>>>
>>> 4. Is it technically feasible and acceptable to have, operating on
Apache infrastructure, the OpenOffice.org web site and subdomains as open
public sites operating with software that would otherwise not be very tasty
on Apache (PHPBB which is GPLd and may have some customizations, for
example)?

> We need to differentiate between software that Apache.org will formally
> distribute to third parties (here licensing is a critical issue), and
> software that it might use internally to deliver its own services such
> as the provision of forums (Linux, MySQL, PHP, ...). Here it only needs
> to satisfy the terms the software licence and GPL isn't an issue. So I
> don't see any problems here for phpBB and MediaWiki. As to the OOo
> forum-specific mods -- I wrote them all and Apache can have them under
> any licence that is required.
>> So you're asking a 1-sentence technical feasibility question for an
>> extremely complex topic with no supporting proposal, plan or other
>> supporting details? What kind of answer would you expect to this?
>> What answer would you give if someone asked you this question? Would
>> you expect anything but "well, it depends"?
>>
>>> I know that is very hypothetical in this form, but it is not worth
navigating (1-3) unless 4 would work at the end of the day.