incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Re: RE: RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:31:23 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Wolf Halton" <wolf.halton@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 23, 2011 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org
Initial Committer Status
To: <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>

So it is sort of an invisible line. The way you are framing the issue, and
the work you have done to help the initial committers has already convinced
me there must be a time limit. I want us all to be able to move on as well.
I would suggest year-end as the purge point for non-responders. It is 2x the
time anyone would need to have, so it is generous to a fault, however it
puts a closure to the issue. I would suggest you send your reminder now and
another final one early december. I will help, if you want. I am not just
suggesting more work for others. :-)

On Jul 23, 2011 1:45 AM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:
> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should
leave the door open, no questions asked? Why?

> Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and
members of the PPMC without being here and demonstrating commitment through
their contributions. It is not even a matter of them being voted in based on
existing reputation. (I'm one of those myself.)

> At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers
and working toward a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is
possible that the PPMC will also shrink if those who are already on it do
not eventually demonstrate a commitment that would have qualified them in
the ordinary way.

> At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not
shown up become a point too far. In this case, we are talking about folks
who have not submitted an iCLA and not responded to requests to submit them
and, as far as I know, have not appeared on ooo-dev. Even if we withdraw the
Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is no barrier to becoming
a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project. It's not fatal.

> I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they
intend to submit an iCLA and how much time they want to do that. It is a
simple request. There are any number of possible responses. I assume we will
deal with the responses on an individual basis. If they do not intend to
submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have to be expecting
them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.

> My goal is having them show up. And if they are not going to show up, I
would like to know that. Then we can tell when we have a full roster of
Initial Committers that are ready and willing as they signaled they were.

> - Dennis

Initial Committer Status

> What is the technical or social stressor causing this issue to be framed
in
> this time-sensitive language?
> Wolf
>
> On Jul 22, 2011 4:40 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> wrote:
>> I did not include a time limit, because we had not agreed on one.
Instead,
> I made the request to indicate whether they intended to submit an iCLA and
> how much time they would need (for whatever review reasons or other
> determinations involved).
>>
>> These Initial Committers were already sent a bulk e-mail on June 23.
>>
>> Why would we not expect the Initial Committers who signed up by June 10
> report whether they intend to actually become committers? It is about
their
> commitment, it seems to me. And they always have the opportunity to become
> committers by showing up and contributing, the same as for anyone who is
not
> an Initial Committer.
>>
>> My thought was to wait 15-30 days after we approach all of them
> individually and then send a follow-up to ones who have not responded at
all
> indicating that the invitation to become committers and PPMC members is
> being withdrawn. (Assuming we decide to do that and set such a date.)
>>
>> I would make the changes that Stephen Bergmann recommended.
>>
>> More feedback and discussion, please.
>>
>> - Dennis

Committer