incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <in...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for OOo branding...
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 06:44:36 GMT
2011/7/22 Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com>

> I think we need an approach for issues like the icon set that allow
> developers to produce,
> and the community to review, alternate sets of resources.  It would be good
> to agree
> on a common set of design criteria (e.g. color differentiation, accessible,
> highlight ODF, etc).
> The process should allow for multiple options to be developed *before* the
> choice of a new default.
>
> I think this is different from the standard process of CTR, but in the case
> of RTC it would be nice to
> have the evolution of multiple sets of resources in the svn history.  I'm
> wondering how we do
> this within the Apache way.

Indeed, I'm wondering the same thing too, because I'm new to the Apache way
of work and I'm still learning.

In the older OOo community, the work was project-centric, where a need grew
in a specific project and then it was  satisfied from professional
developers or volunteers with suitable skills, while trying to have a larger
consensus in the community.

Here, the whole process is more SVN-centric and there is, at least so far, a
lot less specialization through sub-projects and so on.

So, the main question I have is: is a broad consensus on this list "to
change the icon set" enough in order to put that task on Apache OOo to-do
list for the future, at least as a starting point?

In fact, this simple change involves a lot of collateral tasks and duties:

1) a creation of a design development process (as you correctly stated);
2) a creation of an Apache OOo brand identity (legal stuff for a logo/color
schema?);
3) "Foreign affairs" for external collaborations (with the ODF group, for
example).

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: