incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <in...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for OOo branding...
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:51:03 GMT
2011/7/23 Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com>

[...]

In other words, we need people to stand up and say, "I want to do X".
> "X" is then a proposal that is discussed.  If there are no objections,
> then the person who volunteered to do "X" does it. (Lazy consensus).
> If the task is so obviously necessary that no one would reasonably
> object, then you just do it.  (Everything in SVN can be reversed).
>
> What doesn't work as well is having one group of project members make
> proposals for what another group of project members should do.
> Suggestions and feedback are always welcome, of course, from everyone
> in the community.  But what really drives the project forward is the
> members who say "I will do X".

[...]

For things like this, where greater coordination is required, someone
> should say, "I want to do X, who will join me?".  But no one should be
> waiting to be led, or waiting for instructions to come down and tell
> us the direction.  Things happen based more on a volunteer's efforts
> and less on wishes.

Please, don't get me wrong, but I'm exactly coming from the same situation
in the LibO project.

I had an idea, whose implementation would have been rather time-consuming,
there was "some" consensus on some lists, I pushed the idea, contacted
people, started to work and after a huge amount of work hours there was no
sureness that the idea would have been really implemented as a community
tool, yet.

Finally, what I got it was a lot of frustration that let me come here and
see how Apache OOo community works.

I've understood the matter of the lazy consensus, but I'm just trying to
avoid more frustration. :-)

Indeed, I'm not a professional designer, but I can surely try to find a
volunteer with suitable skills, if a colored icon set is seen as a need from
the Community and enough guidelines are provided (colors,
brand, graphical elements, deadline, ...).

It may be a classic call for help "We need... , can you help us?" in the
native language communities. There are a lot of people out there, in the
larger Community, that *don't* read this mailing list and *may* contribute
anyway, if they know help is needed.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: