incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: PPMC Membership and Responsibilities
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:01:17 GMT
2011/7/16 Dennis E. Hamilton <>:
> PPMC Membership is by invitation.  Becoming a committer is by invitation.  Generally,
PPMC members are committers first.

Small (but important) correction...

PPMC members are *always* committers. They may be made a committer and
a PPMC member at the same time, but you can't have a PPMC member who
is not a committer.

Sometimes this causes confusion and concern. Does this mean that
someone has to write code to be a PPMC member? The answer is no. Being
a committer on an ASF project is better thought of as being committed
to the project rather than a committer to SVN.

The reason PPMC members must be committers is a process one. If you're
not a committer you don't have an apacheid, email, login credentials
etc. and that would prevent you from participating in foundation

> For the Initial Committers and only the Initial Committers, there is an automatic invitation
to become a committer and to become a PPMC member.  Once the Initial Committer is established
as a committer, the next step is to enter the PPMC.  (It is not a requirement that a committer,
even an Initial Committer, join the PPMC.  Initial Committers happen to be eligible.)
> The Initial Committers are listed on this page:
> <>.
 The list was closed on 2011-06-10 when voting on the incubator proposal commenced.
> The responsibilities of the [P]PMC are described at
> <>.
> Additional provisions applicable to the PPMC are described at
> <>.
>  - Dennis

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)