incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:38:07 GMT
On 7 July 2011 13:17, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

>> One thing would be to collaborate to remove any redundant code. I have heard
>> that the LibO people have already worked on this so removing code should be
>> something that is not too controversial license-wise and could filter up
>> stream from LibO to OOo. (hi guys we removed this this and this, you might
>> like to do the same as it hasn't broken anything) Same with identifying
>> inefficient stuff that is more a matter of reorganisation or replacing
>> existing code with something better. Such revisions could be less of a
>> license problem even if not completely resolving the issue.
>
> This would at least require that someone having done that at LO would
> contribute a patch for OOo. Having a patch could help to do the removal
> in the same way as in LO. That could make sure that afterwards the code
> bases became more similar and merging of code changes could become
> easier in the future. Perhaps that's something you should suggest on the
> LO dev list.
>
> (I hope this suggestion isn't seen as an offense - really, if you are
> asking for patches you have to ask those who did the work, not those who
> might receive it.)

My intention is to talk to as many LO folk as I can about the feedback
I get on this list. I want to try and work out where there is
potential for such collaboration. I want to figure out who can help
make it happen etc.

I've not talked to the LO folk about this topic yet, I want to be able
to go there with some constructive areas of collaboration that are
respectful of their licence choice and community objectives. I'm not
likely to make any of this happen, I haven't written any C++ code for
about 15 years, but I might at least be able to get a conversation
going.

Keep the suggestions going and don't be scared of suggestions that
require us to ask the LO project for patches. I know that brings the
question of licences back into it, but for now lets assume everything
is possible (I hope LO folk on this list do not think that I am
assuming patches will be forthcoming, there may be other approaches
that we can take to route around some of these issues, but we won't
find them if we don't talk about them).

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)