incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Too many rules? (Re: When does one become a committer?)
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:59:47 GMT
On 23 July 2011 22:50, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> If people find this work interesting, that's great.  But in terms of rules
> and procedures, sometimes it's fine to not over-document the rules until
> there's a case where they're really needed.

+1000 (I'm referring to the general concept not any specific
discussion about potential rules)

I don't mean to say that the establishment of rules is a pointless
exercise. However, for the majority of software developers rules are
at best a diversion, at worst restrictive.

In general the vast majority of situations you will come up against
(or at least can imagine coming up against) will already have been
experienced somewhere in the ASF at some point. When trying to figure
out how to handle a given situation there will be someone who can help
guide the decision making.

Remember an ASF project is about consensus, not about rules and
regulations. It's about the community deciding what is best for the
community as a whole at that point in time. There is no shortage of
people to help you build consensus by providing options. Even when you
graduate you will be able to call on the experience of everyone here
and everyone in the ASF as a whole.

Ross