incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Easy tasks and mentoring
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:03:09 GMT
This all sounds wonderful. The ComDev project here simply pushes
people to the projects themselves. We don't provide specific mentors,
we just try and encourage people to take that first step by giving
some gentle guidance on what the first step should be.

The EducOOo project is much more organised and, as a result, seems to
be more successful. ComDev does well with GSoC but we've pretty much
failed to make it work in a broader sense (only a small number of
people have passed through ComDev). Even with a major EU project
specifically targeted at getting students into open source projects as
part of their formal CS courses we've not seen any significant uptake.
I believe it is because we don't provide things like OOoLight.

Until the code from OOo is here there is little we can do directly
with the project here, I'd be happy to explore this further and try
and bring our experience of running mentored projects through GSoC to
the great work you are doing for OOo.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)