incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:09:37 GMT
On 6 July 2011 23:51, Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> wrote:

> To date the LibreOffice crew has taken the effort to merge in changes from
> the OOo code line, for each release.
> The most obvious and best way to collaborate in the future is to write good
> code, and make it worth their while to integrate it into LO.
> The more compelling the development effort at Apache, the more likely it is
> reused by LO.
> This also leads to the situation where they have an interest in pushing
> changes into the AOOo code line, to simplify their future merges.

I agree 100% with this.

My question, as someone who does not know the OOo code, is are there
any obvious places in the code where this is likely to happen?

A strong Apache project has the broadest possible community of users.
Some of these users become contributors and some of those become
committers.

I wonder if there are any units of code that can be separately
packaged in order to allow them to be included in downstream projects
without "merging cnhanges" into a separate code tree?

I'm a Java weenie, so I think in terms of JARs that can be reused
easily. Is there any scope in the OOo project for similar library
reuse? If so where is the low hanging fruit?

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)