incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: When does one become a committer?
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:25:26 GMT
On 23 July 2011 19:40, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> After we vote in a new committer, there are several steps that follow,
> including sending them an note telling them they've been voted in,
> having them return an iCLA, waiting for the iCLA to be recorded,
> choosing an Apache ID, getting an Apache account, etc.
>
> At what point are they considered officially to be a committer?  For
> example, at what point can they veto a code modification?

An interesting question - one I've never considered before.  There is
no policy on this that I am aware of. I would say that on all the
projects I have experience it is at the point the public statement is
made.

Of course, since the (P)PMC have voted in the committer they should
have been considering the individuals opinion as "binding" for a while
already (meaning they are already a valued member of the community and
have demonstrated value to and an understanding of the project
already.

> I'm trying to better understand the status of those who never complete
> the above set of steps.

If the "trigger point" is the public announcement then the individual
will have accepted but not necessarily submitted an ICLA. However, an
ICLA is only needed for commit access (or significant contributions).
Remember a veto needs to be supported with an alternative
implementation and a willingness to help implement the alternative. If
the individual has no ICLA on file and nobody supports the veto then
there is nobody to implement the alternative. So it is entirely
possible that a veto under these circumstances would not be valid.

Given that a veto is an action of last resort I wouldn't worry about
this anyway, community mechanisms tend to deal with these things if
they ever emerge.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)