incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project + PPMC Growing Pains
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:35:44 GMT
On 18 July 2011 16:22, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Just to be clear: The time in proposal was 10 days, from June 1 to June 10.  "Weeks"
is a stretch.

Really? Wow it felt much longer ;-) Thanks for the correction.

> We should acknowledge that objection even though the PPMC is expected to be unswerving
in its adherence to policies.

Agreed. It's not that I think the objections are groundless, but a
line needs to be drawn somewhere.

> So, are we to make it clear that this is how the Apache Podling bootstrap game is played
and there is no point in arguing with the umpire about what the rules of play are?

The "umpire" here is the PPMC right? As a mentor I am not trying to
tell you where to draw the line, I am merely saying that it looks to
me like the majority of the PPMC feel the line was drawn when the vote
was called, if I am mistaken then please don't read my mails as ASF
policy, the PPMC gets to set where the line is drawn.

As a mentor I hope that the PPMC is also agreed that the barrier to
entry for new committers (from OOo days or not) is relatively low and
that the project community works hard to reach out to those who are
upset that they missed the call. Help them become involved here at
Apache, make them welcome, apply their documentation and code patches
quickly, recognise their work to get the Apache OOo message out there.
In general make sure everyone is welcome whether they have the
"committer" title or not.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)