incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: A first try to remove some copyleft components from the build
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:27:58 GMT
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to get rid of some copyleft dependencies. As I will leave for
> vacation on Wednesday, I now send my first patch to the list so that
> others already can have a look or even continue. I only did it on Linux
> so far, of course we will need adaptions for other platforms.
> I created the patch from the hg repository of OpenOffice.org, but the
> differences to our still not existing svn repository won't be huge, so
> it should bring us a little bit closer to a "clean" build.
>
> I also added some more todos to the wiki page.
>
> Meanwhile the license information at
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ApacheMigration
>
> about our external tarballs is nearly complete, so there might be some
> more modules that could be worked on before we will tackle the
> "internal" copyleft dependencies. As I see it, I already should have
> covered most dependencies on copyleft licensed external tarballs, with
> the exceptions of the modules for the svg import (Kai Ahrens announced
> to work on it) and linear solver (Niklas Nebel already created a first
> patch for it).
>
> Now some words about the patch.
>
> I wanted to have it lazy ;-), so I just added a single configure switch
> "--with-disable-copyleft" and did some quick and dirty changes to
> configure.in. If someone wants to make the name or the implementation
> nicer - please go for it. I never got when to use "yes/no" or
> "true/false" in our configure.in. :-)
>
> With the changes in the patch the following modules won't be built
> anymore when the switch is used:
>
> dictionaries
> epm
> gstreamer
> hunspell
> hyphen
> libwpd
> mozilla
> mythes
> neon
> nss
> saxon
>
> and some modules or module parts that depend on them. I didn't need to
> remove any sources, as all copyleft parts that I removed are external
> tar balls. The code using these parts is just "normal" OOo code that can
> stay in the repository, though should be left out in the standard build
> at Apache.
>
> The final installation set of the build on Linux currently ist just
> created as a tar.gz, native packages can't be created as epm is missing.
> (I already posted a question about epm to this list, hopefully someone
> will be able to answer it.) Thus the build currently finishes with an
> error message, nevertheless the tar.gz was created and the result
> basically runs fine.
>
> The patch contains some unfinished work in rhino that is still commented
> out. If someone knows how to add conditional compilation to a build.xml
> file (I don't): the module "scripting" has parts depending on rhino that
> need to be removed from the build.xml in case DISABLE_RHINO is set.
> Which parts these are can easily be "detected" (means: found by build
> breakages) by removing the comment signs from my changes in rhino before
> you start the build.
>
> If you want to try it yourself: get the source from
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340, apply the patch, call autoconf
> and then do the build as usual, following the build instructions in the
> ooo wiki. On my Ubuntu 11.04 the new configure switch was the only one I
> needed.
>

i will try it under MacOS but i will also take a short break over the
weekend

By the way well done Mathias it brings us forward

Juergen


>
> For those amongst us that are used to the OOo build system: I treated
> configure no longer as part of the build tree, so autoconf is required
> after applying the patch. Makes more sense that way, IMHO, and from what
> I already learned on this list, it is the preferred way at Apache.
>
> Regards,
> Mathias
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message