incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 21:41:09 GMT
OUCH! see below...

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Yesterday I got tired of the look of people.mdtext in the project site. It
> was so 1990s. So, I've improved the look via css and adding defined widths.
> I guess I am volunteering for the item on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted
>
> Several of us have been surveying the existing openoffice.org website on
> several wiki pages mostly linked to from:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-PPMC-Plan
>
> With over 140 "projects" in openoffice.org, it will be important to agree
> to a mapping which reduces the granularity by more than an order of
> magnitude. The page http://projects.openoffice.org/ is a good and clear
> way to start - and pretty much fits the structure on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning
>

>        • Product Development
>        • Extension Development
>        • Language Support
>        • Helping Users
>        • Distribution
>        • Promotion
>
> I think that these groupings will help us easily have a rule about which
> projects end up on http://openoffice.apache.org/ or stay on the successor
> http://*.openoffice.org/.
>
> Projects have "webcontent" and/or "wiki" content. On openoffice.org there
> is a generally consistent look. There are exceptions which are marketing
> sites like http://why.openoffice.org/. The difference is glaring because
> that is the first big button on the main site.
>
> Webcontent is available via svn - "svn co
> https://svn.openoffice.org/svn/${project}~webcontent ${project}" (Thanks
> Marcus Lange)
>

> Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:

I think "infrastructure" which is the project for all aspects dealing with
the development of the old web site itself could be thrown out completely,
since, ta da, here we are in a new environment. And, much of that is VERY
old. Ditto for much of the "download" area which goes back to the
non-mirrors age.

It might be useful to take the domains list....

 https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains

and see what can be combined into your suggested categories below.  Maybe we
could start something like this as a seperate item off the "To Do" list on
the OOo-sitemap page. Oddly, some of these actual "virtual domains" are
really part of the main website -- web~webcontent.

The following page needs more fleshing out:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-Sitemap

> wave@minotaur:~/ooo-test$ ls -1
> development
> documentation
> download
> projects
> www
>
> The size is 2.7GB.
>
> It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing
> webcontent to either mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript and
> css. It is likely we can adapt the content and use the Apache CMS to wrap a
> standard skeleton.

hmmm...this would work fine (maybe) if you wanted to do a 1-to-1 conversion
on the pages. However, I'm pretty sure given your thoughts so far that this
probably isn't what you want. It seems like we've got quite a bit of
analysis and housecleaning to do first -- unfortunately. I would be happy to
work on a "new infrastructure" list or something based on what I know.

take care...

> Regards,
> Dave

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
that
'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and I'll just start over kind
of attitude."
                  — "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose