incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:24:56 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> raised brand recognition (always our single biggest problem) and we
>> would have steered them to the Why.ooo page, build confidence in the
>> brand and then led them to the download button, but someone in the
>> corporate space somehow figured that dumping people straight onto the
>> download page would turn into downloads, if only it was that easy.
>>

>>>   However, the rate of download changed not even so
>>>>

>>> Why wouldn't you design a homepage for "users" that makes it easier for
>>> them
>>> to get what they need -- monetary contributions notwithstanding?
>>> OpenOffice.org is first and foremost a "client" product.
>>>

>> The confusion with the original design was the confusion over the
>> definition of "User". Our problem is that our User-Base is diverse in
>> terms of Internet sophistication.  The homepage in it's effort to cater
>> for this huge diversity ended becoming too complex and confusing, a
>> problem I foresee if we try to simplify everything too much. A maillist
>> for devs is not the best place to have marketing discussions or users
>> complaining that their download "doesn't work", or artists considering
>> the aesthetics of different fontsets.

>>> yes...I hope to investigate the Apache CMS capabilities in this regard
>>> this
>>> week.
>>>

>> I'm still in the committer pending box, as soon as that is actioned I'll
>> get to grips with the CMS as well.  The initial homepage will be
>> probably more informational than guiding people to downloads.  We could
>> probably go with familiarity and substitute the download button for a
>> "Countdown to Release" perhaps and link it to a blog, what do you think?
>>

> I know the bits behind the download website as I helped to keep it running
> and have made some improvements. To install a countdown button to show how
> many days until release is a good idea.
>
> It should be clickable to link to a blog, announcement, release schedule,
> whatever we will define.
>
> I always liked the one from Fedora. However, currently there is none.
>
> To get an idea here are some older ones:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/**F13_Artwork#Release_Countdown_**Banner<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_Artwork#Release_Countdown_Banner>
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/**counter<http://fedoraproject.org/en/counter>
>

>  Play a bit of the MS vaporware game.  Trickling press releases,
>> tantalising blog entries and so on!  :)  A bit difficult on public lists
>>

> Normally I would leave them alone in their self-created game. ;-)
> But yes, for the initial release we need to push the news and press guys to
> our project.
>

>  it's true (which is why we had some private lists in the marketing
>> project) but it's all about keeping the attention simmering.
>>

> I also think that mailing lists are not the best medium to "speak" with
> marketing and news people outside. A single and easy to reach webpage is

yes...the Blog would be much easier upkeep than the current "News" page on
the existing site as well.  Let's do it! :)

> Marcus

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
that
'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and I'll just start over kind
of attitude."
                  — "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose