incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:22:55 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 08:34 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:

> > >From my POV, what would be really helpful right now to the existing user
> > base, is to somehow migrate over the "Announcement" list and its
> > corresponding subscribers.  And, have someone designated to be the
> > "announcement guru". My feat at the moment is losing supporters/users who
> > don't have any interest in direct contribution but who use
> OpenOffice.org.
> >

> We have to be careful about rushing before we have an established
> community that is needed to run a users list.  At present we have had a
> reasonably large migration to LibreOffice but I consider them to still
> be part of our greater community.  In terms of brand recognition our
> brand still has high profile because LO is still seen as a "fork" of
> OOo.  Possibly not the best scenario for the LO people but until they
> break fresh marketing ground that's simply the reality.  What this gives
> us is breathing space that we would not have but for LO's existence, not
> a lot it is true but enough.  OOo will not disappear from the LO users
> ken for a number of months, possibly even a year.
>
> In the interim before a release, an active announce list and marketing
> blog should be priorities as well as maintaining a profile on User
> forums such as OOoForum.org

Well you're the marketing guy. ;)

At this point, all I'm suggesting is that "we" somehow keep the e-mail
Announcements current, somehow. I haven't seen an OO.o announcement e-mail
in a long long while, nor do I know how it actually gets constructed and put
out. Yes, this list is still managed the old site, but....?

Setting up a blog and just sending out an announcement with a link to the
blog (maintained by marketing?) would be ideal. A blog would be great!

> [...]
> > > unrecognised and unappreciated.

> overriding

> homepage?
> > >
> > > There was reasoning behind this, more downloads = more users, More
> Users
> > > = Greater market share, More market share = more contributors. However
> > > the homepage grew from that original precept to become "Make it as easy
> > > as possible for someone landing on the homepage to have their OOo needs
> > > fulfilled!"  Downloads was one of those needs.
> > >
> > > There was a history to the "More Downloads" thing, in 06 I think it
> was,
> > > Sun decided to spend some money on promoting OOo.  Rather than giving
> it
> > > to the marketing project and letting us use it as best we could, they
> > > spent it with a promotions company to use on internet marketing (and
> > > gave the Marketing team a part of it, with the proviso that it be spent
> > > on promo materials, but that's another story.)  The promo company spent
> > > around 35K USD, IMS, on google keywords and the like on a "Pay on click
> > > through" basis. Clicking on a text ad or keyword sent people to
> > > download.openoffice.org.  The money disappeared fast, so there were
> lots
> > > of clickthroughs.
> >

> > Oh boy...interesting little known facts.
> >

> It was frustrating, we could have run a community driven campaign that
> raised brand recognition (always our single biggest problem) and we
> would have steered them to the Why.ooo page, build confidence in the
> brand and then led them to the download button, but someone in the
> corporate space somehow figured that dumping people straight onto the
> download page would turn into downloads, if only it was that easy.
>

> > >  However, the rate of download changed not even so
> > > much as decimal of a percent.  The promo company picked up their check
> > > and the value to the project was zero.  To me and number of other
> people
> > > in the marketing project, the reason was obvious.  The redesign of the
> > > homepage was a response to that failure, so that if ever they were that
> > > generous again we could say: "Just link to openoffice.org homepage
> > > because we have proved that it increases downloads."
> > >

> > Why wouldn't you design a homepage for "users" that makes it easier for
> them
> > to get what they need -- monetary contributions notwithstanding?
> > OpenOffice.org is first and foremost a "client" product.
>
> The confusion with the original design was the confusion over the
> definition of "User". Our problem is that our User-Base is diverse in
> terms of Internet sophistication.  The homepage in it's effort to cater
> for this huge diversity ended becoming too complex and confusing, a
> problem I foresee if we try to simplify everything too much. A maillist
> for devs is not the best place to have marketing discussions or users
> complaining that their download "doesn't work", or artists considering

I agree...I suspect this will change in the future.  The ASF setup is just
preliminary I think.

> display
> > >

> > yes...I hope to investigate the Apache CMS capabilities in this regard
> this
> > week.
>
> I'm still in the committer pending box, as soon as that is actioned I'll
> get to grips with the CMS as well.  The initial homepage will be
> probably more informational than guiding people to downloads.  We could
> probably go with familiarity and substitute the download button for a
> "Countdown to Release" perhaps and link it to a blog, what do you think?
> Play a bit of the MS vaporware game.  Trickling press releases,
> tantalising blog entries and so on!  :)  A bit difficult on public lists
> it's true (which is why we had some private lists in the marketing
> project) but it's all about keeping the attention simmering.
>
> Cheers
> GL

Great that you shared your insights!

> --
> Graham Lauder,
> OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ
> http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html
>
> OpenOffice.org Migration and training Consultant.

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
that
'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and I'll just start over kind
of attitude."
                  — "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose