incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 23:30:24 GMT
On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> With over 140 "projects" in openoffice.org, it will be important to
>>> agree
>>> to a mapping which reduces the granularity by more than an order of
>>> magnitude. The page http://projects.openoffice.**org/<http://projects.openoffice.org/>is
a good and clear
>>> way to start - and pretty much fits the structure on
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>>> Project+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning>
>>>

>>         • Product Development
>>>        • Extension Development
>>>        • Language Support
>>>        • Helping Users
>>>        • Distribution
>>>        • Promotion
>>>
>>> I think that these groupings will help us easily have a rule about which
>>> projects end up on http://openoffice.apache.org/ or stay on the
>>> successor
>>> http://*.openoffice.org/.
>>>
>>> Projects have "webcontent" and/or "wiki" content. On openoffice.orgthere
>>> is a generally consistent look. There are exceptions which are marketing
>>> sites like http://why.openoffice.org/. The difference is glaring because
>>> that is the first big button on the main site.
>>>
>>> Webcontent is available via svn - "svn co
>>> https://svn.openoffice.org/**svn/${project}~webcontent<https://svn.openoffice.org/svn/$%7Bproject%7D%7Ewebcontent>${project}"
(Thanks
>>> Marcus Lange)
>>>

>>  Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:
>>>
>>>  I think "infrastructure" which is the project for all aspects dealing
>> with
>> the development of the old web site itself could be thrown out completely,
>> since, ta da, here we are in a new environment. And, much of that is VERY
>> old. Ditto for much of the "download" area which goes back to the
>> non-mirrors age.
>>
> The problem is, that we have many dead pages on the SVN. At Collabnet we
> haven't the right to delete pages from the CVS. So many many unused site is
> still on the SVN but you won't find it over the OOo webpage.
>
>  It might be useful to take the domains list....
>>
>>  https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> OpenOffice+Domains<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains>
>>
>> and see what can be combined into your suggested categories below.  Maybe
>> we
>> could start something like this as a seperate item off the "To Do" list on
>> the OOo-sitemap page. Oddly, some of these actual "virtual domains" are
>> really part of the main website -- web~webcontent.
>>
> I have already done a sitemap for all projects. It's only 4 month old. I do
> this sitemap for the kenai migration. I will upload the list. It's a line
> separated textfile.
>
>  The following page needs more fleshing out:

>>> documentation
>>> download
>>> projects
>>> www
>>>
>>> The size is 2.7GB.
>>>
>>> It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing
>>> webcontent to either mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript
>>> and
>>> css. It is likely we can adapt the content and use the Apache CMS to wrap
>>> standard skeleton.
>>>
>>>  Yes we need a script, but I think the Script can only do basic work. The
> OOo Page is not so easy as it looks. Ther are many special features on the
> kenai framework, and a load of JavaScript. I agree with Kai that we have to
> be verry carefull.
>
> Greatings Raphael
>
> --
> My private Homepage: http://www.raphaelbircher.ch/

OK, a totally different thought/approach.

I think it might be easier in the long run to migrate the entire current OOo
site in total (well except for maybe a few areas/projects) and deal with the
revamping/reorg on a longer term basis -- culling out a bit at a time.

I think trying to deal with this NOW will considerably slow site migration
down, maybe even prevent it altogether and will considerably upset existing
users I think.

The biggest problem with this alternate approach, well really ANY approach,
is that folks that formerly had commit rights to sites, won't, because they
aren't committers. And now, with the (somewhat) recent migration to kenai,
it's a bit difficult to tell what was going on before that.

We should definitely think long term about migrating nearly all project home
pages to a wiki for easier maintenance. I think much of this had already
happened in actuality. People didn't want to deal with cvs/svn or anything
even remotely "techie" to participate.

Obviously the BIGGEST change is what people now see for the projects on the
site (esp the language areas), but many of those current enhancements just
recently emerged with kenai. We can scale back this listing.

Thoughts?

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
that
'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and I'll just start over kind
of attitude."
                  — "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose