incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:29:05 GMT
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2011, at 12:55, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> If a project decides to create a canonical place to find things like
>> extensions and templates then we will expect the (P)PMC to demonstrate
>> active oversight of that repository.
>
> To clarify this, Sam:  Do you mean that any external repository would need to be under
the sole oversight of the (P)PMC, or are you simply indicating that involvement in an external
shared repository would need to be with the consent of the (P)PMC?

You might have snipped a wee bit too much there.  But the short answer
is: got a concrete proposal?

A longer answer: a concrete example that exists today is Apache
Extras, which has minimal oversight.  The reason that this particular
question has come up in this context is that the request was coupled
with a request to make use of *.openoffice.org.  It is that use of the
brand that will require compliance with the branding policy, and as a
necessary consequence, considerable oversight.

If somebody wishes to propose one or more external repositories
without that additional requirement, there likely is nothing here that
needs discussion outside of this mailing list.  If somebody wishes to
propose something concrete with that additional requirement, it is
incumbent on them to address all of the issues that such a proposal
creates.

> S.

- Sam Ruby