incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Legality of ooo-archive apache git repository
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 02:50:47 GMT
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, florent andré
<florent.andre-dev@4sengines.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question come from a discussion about OpenOffice.org code migration
> (ooo-dev thread "single repository status").
>
> For giving you context, the actual simpler scenario we have for importing
> code is :
> - only import HG trunk code in our svn (with more or less history) [1]
> - create an apache git read-only repository with all the oracle's hg code,
> for keeping all the history stuff.
>
> So with this scenario, we will have :
> - a clean (SGA and IP) svn trunk
> - an ooo-archive git with all the original stuff from Oracle
>
> Question around this idea is (Quoting Rob Weir) :
> " it would be from the IP perspective.  This is more than
> getting an updated SGA from Oracle. It is also about incompatible
> licensed code.  We can only carry that in our SVN repository
> temporarily, until we graduate.  So having it exist long-term in a
> read-only git archive is something we'd want to understand better."
>
> Your insights will be really helpful here as it's more than a month ago from
> incubation now, an the option here seems the best compromise we had for now.

>From a legal perspective, there is no difference between svn, git, or
even hg for that matter.  This is for the PPMC to decide, in
conjunction with infrastructure.

What purpose would there be to retaining a "long-term...archive" of
"incompatible licensed code" on Apache Infrastructure?  I fully
understand the short term need during incubation, but what is the
intended purpose of this code post graduation?

> ++
>
> [1] after this first import we gradually import other stuff from hg or git
> with classical branching / merging.

- Sam Ruby