incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:07:27 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 Jul 2011, at 13:32, Kai Ahrens wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course it makes a difference to ask our users instead of asking some
>>> deeply involved people on this list, having very subjective interests in
>>> one or the other direction.
>>>
>>> And in the end, the user rules, not any marketing speech.
>>
>> While that sounds good, I'm not sure it's the Apache way and I'd welcome a comment
from one of the mentors.

> I'm taking Kai's statement as stating the obvious: that a branding
> decision is best informed by data on what the target market thinks,
> not what the marketeers think.  The interpretation of the evidence and
> execution of a branding strategy, would be up to the PPMC, in
> conjunction with Apache Branding.

I agree with the concluding sentence in the above (the merits of the
preceding sentence is up to the PPMC and Apache Branding to determine,
not the mentors).  Meanwhile, what near term decision needs to be
made?

I'll note that the incubator page list this project as openofficeorg

I'll note that this list is called ooo-dev.

I'll note that the subversion repository is ooo.

I'll note that the names of the wikis are OOOUSER and OOODEV.

Should any of these change now?  And if so, why?

What future decisions will need to be made, and what are the todos?
Many ASF projects track things like this by the creation of a simple
file named STATUS in svn.  Alternately, this could be placed on a wiki
page.

> -Rob

- Sam Ruby