incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:53:24 GMT
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Michael Meeks
<michael.meeks@novell.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 14:18 +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> that is an interesting point: we currently ship binaries of C++ runtime
>> libraries in the installation sets.
>
>        One thing that escapes a lot of people's notice is that most C++ app
> out there on Linux links vs. crt1.o crti.o crtbegin.o crtend.o and
> crtn.o - which are injected by the compiler to handle bootstrapping eg.
> C++ constructors & destructors Those are licensed under the GPL + GCC
> runtime library exception[1] AFAIR. I guess others around Apache discussed
> similar things before[2].

None of these (or the MSVC runtime) are likely to pose problems.  They
don't prevent us from distributing the code that we develop under the
license of our choice; nor do they prevent anybody else from linking
in the runtime of their choice.  If anybody here feels that additional
clarity is required on this point, simply open an issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL

>        ATB,
>
>                Michael.
>
> [1] - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception.html