incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: fetch-all-cws.sh (was: Building a single Hg repository)
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:12:39 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 07:50, Michael Stahl <mst@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On 05.07.2011 11:16, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>> merged. Speaking of merges in SVN we regularly had the problem that a
>> file was renamed in one CWS and changed in another CWS and the result
>> was that the change got lost. HG or GIT handle this scenario much more
>> gracefully, so there was less risk to do big merges.
>
> indeed, which led to effectively forbidding moving files in SVN...
> i hope SVN has learned to signal a merge conflict for this nowadays?

It sure does. They are called "tree conflicts". In this particular
case, you have an "incoming edit" to a file that doesn't exist. That
will get flagged for conflict resolution.

>> If the goal is to just merge the outstanding CWSs into trunk I'd suggest
>> to stay with hg, merge all good CWSs into trunk and start the apache-ooo
>> SVN repository from that trunk.
>>
>> If the goal is to preserve the trunk and CWSs of the old-OOo project
>> then the idea to provide it as a read-only git repository is great,

We only have one canonical repository at Apache, and that is
Subversion. We should not be planning to create a Git repository...
the read-only Git "repositories" are just mirrors of portions of the
Subversion repository.

Cheers,
-g