incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Q: Notices in Code - Answered and Thanks Y'All
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:35:55 GMT
It seems there is some kind of subtext here, but it is so obtuse that I have
no idea what is going on.

So: was my short reply useful, or not?

And note that my reply was also given as an augment to Rob's link to source
header application.

Dennis: be clear; *what* are you trying to say? I cannot read *any* takeaway
from below.

-g
On Jul 28, 2011 7:44 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:
> There's a story, perhaps apocryphal (i.e., like the bicycle shed story),
about Tom Watson approaching a Sr.VP for Human Resources in a hallway and
asking how college students get summer jobs at IBM. The Sr.VP said he'd get
back to him.

> I will say no more. You might imagine how this went South when the only
thing Watson wanted to know was to what to tell a neighbor whose son wanted
to apply for one of those jobs. The more experience you have in corporate
life (and on some developer lists), you can imagine where this might have
ended up instead. (Serious analysis and study, crash project, charts,
slides, big conference room presentation, etc.)

> However, Greg answered my question in his first reply on this thread:
>
> "Right. Whenever possible."
>
> It is useful to learn about RAT and the committers tools, although it
doesn't apply to my situation. My question was not about how to make the
notice, it was about how Greg seemed to stamp it onto every textual artifact
he committed to SVN.

> Two lessons:
> 1. I need to be careful about answering the (actual) question being asked.
> 2. When I ask questions, I need to be very clear what the question is (and
still risking that won't be the question answered).