incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 02:26:33 GMT
I'd go with the shorter URL, and that title looks great.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 19:16, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Then the choices are:
>
> blogs.apache.org/openofficeorg
> or
> blogs.apache.org/ooo
>
> The title ought to be "Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating)", correct?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Danese Cooper wrote:
>
>> It isn't just a matter of who gets more hits on Google. In 2000, the OpenOffice name
was not trademarkable worldwide (and probably still is not) without the .org. OTOH, the ASF
doesn't normally seek to register all it's trademarks worldwide because of cost (in the US,
first use of a mark is significant enough)...but if Oracle is transferring it's trademarks
to the ASF (and if it's the worldwide trademark, then it's worth about $350,000 USD), then
we're back to dealing with the .org, I'm afraid.

>> Danese
>>
>> Kay Shenk wrote:
>>
>> -Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the *other* office
suite, whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+ years ago). Now it doesn't, but we
should ascertain the status or history of this before changing the product/brand name I think,
just to be safe.