incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:41:23 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

>  Another option that comes to mind:
>
> 3) Have OOo extensions hosted by a 3rd party website and we link to
> that site.  It is done that way essentially now with OSL.  But I think
> we'll want to be more explicit about such links to 3rd party sites
> going forward, stating that this is not Apache code, etc.
>
> Also, if most of the extensions are applicable to LibreOffice and
> other derived products, as well as OpenOffice, then this might be an
> opportunity for collaboration with The Document Foundation on a common
> extension repository.

As it happens I'd already started exploring this one with the Document
Foundation Steering Committee, and Jomar Silva raised it on the TDF-Discuss
list. TDF are just about to launch a full version of their extensions &
templates system and they would be perfectly happy for AOOo to redirect the
URL that OpenOffice.org is using to access the repository so that it uses
the system TDF are hosting for LibreOffice.

They are also happy for this arrangement to continue for as long as it makes
sense, and have no problem with a shared repository indefinitely. Like
Apache, they are only willing to host open source packages, so if anyone
wanted a system that also hosted closed packages it would need to be created
as a downstream of TDF's system.

I'm happy to act as a liaison on this if necessary, as I suspect is Jomar.

S.