incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From theUser BL <theuse...@hotmail.com>
Subject What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:01:24 GMT

Hi!
What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Currently there are two point of views what a OOo fork is and what not.

If you look at the trademark and logo, then LibreOffice is the fork.

But if you look at all other things, like where all the old OOo developer are working and
so on, then LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice.org and the Apache OpenOffice.org is the fork.

For me (and not only for me) developer are much more important then project logos and names.
And so for me (and not only for me) Apache OpenOffice.org with its new developers is the fork.

I have seen, how OpenOffice.org changed after the core team changed to LibreOffice.
Ok, at this point I want to mention icons. Have a look at this screenshot of OOo from the
old team:
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/openoffice11.png
and then have a look at the icons of the OOo after the core team have left:
http://t3n.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/OpenOffice_org_33.jpg
All icons looking at the first view identical. Same colors, similar look.

OpenOffice.org have had a philosophy behind a lot of things. Here the coloring spcs of the
old OOo:
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_mimetype.html
As there stand "The language of colors are one of the most important
            identifier to differ between all of OpenOffice.org applications.".
But the Apache OpenOffice.org fork have forgotten it.

But the team, who have written the spec, have at LibreOffice created new icons with the same
philosophy:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons

Thats for example.

And no one other, then the people at LibreOffice understanding the code base of the Office
Suite better.

So what is the advantage of your OpenOffice.org fork? What will Apache OOo do better then
LibreOffice?

Greatings
theuserbl